This "Cheesy Aubergine Sandwich" is healthy, tasty and easy to make and the proper feast for vegetarians. Aubergines are an excellent source of dietary fibre. They are also a good source of vitamins B1 and B6 and potassium. In addition, it is high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese. Aubergines are rich in antioxidants, specifically nasunin found in aubergine skin - which gives it its purple colour.
Today, we have tried the savoury recipe with aubergines, tomatoes, cheese, and herbs, which are well harmonized when those are served together.
Makes 3 Sandwiches
Olive Oil 9tbsp
Pinch of Salt and Black pepper
Sundried Tomato Paste / Sauce / Sundried Tomatoes 6tbsp
Basil Pesto: 3tbsp
For Toppings (prepare the amount of ingredients as you need)
1. Slice the prepared aubergines, tomatoes, and mozzarella into 0.5cm slices.
2. Spray or brush the olive oil on the aubergine surfaces then season the sliced aubergines with a pinch of salts and peppers on both sides and rest for 15 minutes.
3. Broil the sliced aubergines with olive oil for 15-20 minutes or until the aubergines are softened and set aside.
4. Fry the spinach with 2tbsp of water until those are softened and set aside.
5. Place a slice of aubergine on the oven tray with a non-stick baking sheet and put the sundried tomato sauces/paste on the first slice then layer the mozzarella, tomatoes, spinach and repeat those again.
6. Place another slice of the aubergine and put the basil pesto and layer it on the top of the pesto side down. Then paste the mascarpone on the top.
7. Bake the prepared aubergine sandwiches for 15 minutes in the oven heated to 180°C/360°F
8. Add the topping with some chopped cherry tomatoes, basils, rosemaries, and balsamic glaze to serve.